This week has me pretty much standing up in my chair and fist pumping. God has done so much intensive work in my life to correct a chronically self-righteous, rule following, black and white mind set and heart values that this passage just hits me so good. This is a passage that both makes me look back at all God has brought me through and spurs me on to "get this" more and step up.
I have so many things to say, but first you have to get your teeth into this thing for yourself. By this point I think you know what I mean, but I'll outline it anyway.
- Read 1 John 2:7-11
- Draw a box around repeated words or phrases.
- Write out the cross references for each corresponding verse.
- Read through the cross references (if this is taking you a long time and thus discouraging you then use the ESV study bible online. You can click on the reference and all the verses will pop up in a separate window all in one place for you.)
- In highlighter write the main word or thought which describes the references.
- Read 1 John 2:7-11 again. And then maybe again and again.
- Write down whatever is vague or confusing to you. If you have any questions write them down.